Environmental work is a tiresome job. It never ends, there is little, if any personal recognition, but at the same time it is one of the most important professions that one can engage in. Luckily there are a couple of awards available for those brave souls working in the field of river restoration, water management, and catchment innovation.
If you or anyone you know might be in a position where they would qualify for one of these opportunities, share this post and encourage them to apply! Many of these awards have deadlines that are right around the corner, but many of them seem to be opportunities that pop up each year.
1. The Emerging River Professional Award. The international award is open to all river professionals who have been working in their field for 10 years or less, and have demonstrated exceptional and measurable achievements in rivers, basins or river-dependent communities. A wide range of professionals contribute to the future of our rivers and this award is open to professionals of all disciplines – whether scientists, policy makers or on-ground river managers. Winners present their work at the annual International RiverSymposium, and can win AU$4000 – no strings attached. Self-nominations due end-June / July, and this award has been around for two years (with previous iterations in place for several years prior).
2. The River Network’s River Heroes. River Network’s River Heroes Award celebrates rivers and those who protect them by recognizing some of our victories and honoring those who provide us with leadership and inspiration along the way. To weave a celebratory thread throughout the watershed community, in 2001, River Network created The River Heroes Award. The River Heroes are nominated by peers, selected by peers and celebrated with peers at the annual River Rally.
3. Stockholm Water Prizes. Five prizes will be awarded in 2015 at the illustrious World Water Week in Stockholm – some for individuals, others for organisations. World Water Week features several world-renowned award ceremonies, including the prestigious Stockholm Water Prize Award which honours individuals or organisations whose work contributes broadly to the conservation and protection of water resources and to improved well-being of the planet’s inhabitants and ecosystems. Any water-related activities are eligible. Visit the awards section of the online programme for the latest information and resources surrounding the ceremonies.
4. ACWA’s Excellence in Water Leadership Award. This California-based award recognizes individuals who have made a visible contribution to the enhancement, protection or development of water resources in California. The recipient has the honor of presenting a $5,000 charitable donation to a nonprofit organization that works toward the enhancement and / or protection of California’s water resources. Nominations due early March, this award has been in place as an annual award since 2009.
5. Water Leaders Award. The global Water Leaders Award is the only non-profit Global Water Award and it rewards performance improvements in public water utilities in the developing world over the past year. Previously, the financial contribution which has accompanied the Water Leaders Award has been approximately USD 10,000, which is used to support new and/or ongoing performance-enhancing programmes.
6. The prestigious Wayne N. Aspinall Award is given annually to a Coloradan who has long demonstrated courage, dedication, knowledge and leadership in the development, protection and preservation of Colorado water. The Colorado Water Congress is now accepting nominations for the 2016 Aspinall Award. Nominations must be received by August 31, 2015. This award has been going since 1981!
7. River Management Society Award. These US-based awards recognise those who have made significant contributions to the art and science of river management, and those who best exemplify the spirit and purpose of the organisation. The Awards Committee and RMS Board of Directors recognize outstanding individuals and achievements in four categories:
- River Manager of the Year (RMS Members only)
- Outstanding Contribution to River Management (open to all)
- Outstanding Contribution to the River Management Society Award (RMS Members only)
- Frank Church Wild and Scenic Rivers Award (open to all)
There you have seven awards, seven opportunities for individuals to get a little recognition for the challenges they are tackling.
Please note that this is not a complete list, but if you leave comments below, it can be!